This is a long post so feel free to skim it and then hurt yourself jumping to conclusions ;)

World Border

World borders are being removed for free servers that already exist. That means if you’re one of many loyal Minehut users, your world border will be removed next time your server starts up. If you /reset-all or make a new free server, you will have a world border.

This is not live! It will be live by tomorrow morning. This requires a full system restart that we will be doing in the wee hours of the night so please be patient :)

Change to free tiers

Yes, we’re making more changes to free tiers. We understand these changes will upset quite a few players, but we need to do this to make our tier model more sustainable so we can get back to focusing on fixing any current issues as well as adding new features to the network again.

Updates to free tiers:

• 4 slots
  • Plugins: 1
    • Only applies to NEW free servers. Free servers that are already made keep the plugins that they have.
    • There are still some free plugins you can install (see updated list below).
  • World border of 1000
    • Only applies to newly created free servers.

If you already have a free server, you will *keep the plugins you have*. /reset-all will remove those plugins.

This is the last ‘nerf’ that we have planned for free tiers. Our goal is to make it so anyone can come and make their own server to play with friends for free, and a vote if they want to play more than 2 hours a day. If players want more than just basic functionality, our tier 1 is a reasonable price point.

Plugins

This is a complete list of plugins that do not take up a plugin slot (can be installed on free servers):

• Essentials
    • Essentials chat
    • Essentials spawn
    • Essentials kit adder
    • Essentials warp gui
  • Old combat
  • Better combat
  • Panda wire
  • Instant respawn
  • Vault
  • ItemFixer

All Tiers

We’re also bringing in a completely new tier system. Users with active subscriptions will continue to have their legacy tiers as long as the subscription is active, but all new subscriptions will be on the new tier system. These tiers start cheaper and end cheaper than the current system, and they also come with all new names!

Check out the table below for info on the new server plans!

Permanent Tiers

If you purchased a permanent tier when it was possible (it isn’t anymore), then you will have your tier back for life! This will override any current subscription that you have so you can go ahead and cancel it if you have one. The permanent tiers are staying on the old tier system and are not affected by the new tier update.

Permanent tiers won’t be going anywhere, and we really appreciate everyone that supported Minehut early on :)

Server Icons

Icons are back! You'll see them in the server and on Buycraft later tonight.

Player Ranks

These have been hidden from the store until we add more features to them. Yes we have plans for that, no we don't know when it will be. Players that have these will still have their title in game.

Future Updates

To try to balance out the bad with the good, here’s a glimpse at the next updates we have planned:

• Server owners will be able to designate ranks to players on their server such as builder, dev, co owner, etc. that will show up as prefixes / suffixes in the lobby for those players.
  • Tutorials for everything Minehut
  • User submitted tutorials
  • Improved support system to make sure everyone gets help faster and more professionally.
  • Updated lobby functionality
  • Tons of website updates
  • Increased reliability in server startup and status
  • Easier way to do a quick restart to replace /reload.
  • Friends

Q&A
I'll be doing a Q&A in discord voice chat for the next 30 minutes or so. Let me know if you read this far and I'll send you a 

First

If your an old player, it downgrades you if you buy a tier.... makes sense

woohoo!

This may not effect me but what if I want to buy a tier 1 server as an "old" free server. that means I lose everything.

Good work on the update guys, sad to see that some players aren't full co-operating since it's getting the staff team nowhere.

siiiick!

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!! whyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

Incoming 10 pages of angry players.

Ooooh! COOL!

Woah 4 player slots for free ranked people...
It will perfectly fit me, myself, Witchs and I

This is a long post so feel free to skim it and then hurt yourself jumping to conclusions ;)
No thank you, I'm going to pick it apart.

World Border

World borders are being removed for free servers that already exist. That means if you’re one of many loyal Minehut users, your world border will be removed next time your server starts up. If you /reset-all or make a new free server, you will have a world border.
Oh boy, not like everyones already reset their hard work!...
This is not live! It will be live by tomorrow morning. This requires a full system restart that we will be doing in the wee hours of the night so please be patient :)
Still doesn't change the fact that in the inevitable reset in the future everyone's screwed.
Change to free tiers

Yes, we’re making more changes to free tiers. We understand these changes will upset quite a few players, but we need to do this to make our tier model more sustainable so we can get back to focusing on fixing any current issues as well as adding new features to the network again.
Oh boy...
Updates to free tiers:

4 slots
Four. FOUR?! FOUR FRICKIN SLOTS?!
Plugins: 1
lol wtf am i going to do with one plugin
Only applies to NEW free servers. Free servers that are already made keep the plugins that they have.
There are still some free plugins you can install (see updated list below).
Again, RESET IS INEVITABLE.
World border of 1000
Only applies to newly created free servers.
If you already have a free server, you will *keep the plugins you have*. /reset-all will remove those plugins.
Like. I. Said. A reset is going to be  INEVITABLE.
This is the last ‘nerf’ that we have planned for free tiers. Our goal is to make it so anyone can come and make their own server to play with friends for free, and a vote if they want to play more than 2 hours a day. If players want more than just basic functionality, our tier 1 is a reasonable price point.
And if I have 5 friends and I want to play with something that ISN'T RPGITEMS for my server, like, I dunno, HAVING CUSTOM MENUS... then anything more than that I have to pay money.
Plugins

This is a complete list of plugins that do not take up a plugin slot (can be installed on free servers):

Essentials
Essentials chat
Essentials spawn
Essentials kit adder
Essentials warp gui
Old combat
Better combat
Panda wire
Instant respawn
Vault
ItemFixer
And worldguard or redprotect is not on this list.  Same with custom menus and rpgitems.
Rpgs are dead. Prison is dead. Almost all free servers. are. dead.
All Tiers

We’re also bringing in a completely new tier system. Users with active subscriptions will continue to have their legacy tiers as long as the subscription is active, but all new subscriptions will be on the new tier system. These tiers start cheaper and end cheaper than the current system, and they also come with all new names!

Check out the table below for info on the new server plans!

Permanent Tiers

If you purchased a permanent tier when it was possible (it isn’t anymore), then you will have your tier back for life! This will override any current subscription that you have so you can go ahead and cancel it if you have one. The permanent tiers are staying on the old tier system and are not affected by the new tier update.
...k.
Permanent tiers won’t be going anywhere, and we really appreciate everyone that supported Minehut early on :)
k.

Server Icons

Icons are back! You'll see them in the server and on Buycraft later tonight.
k. this doesn't affect me as i never really used them before.

Player Ranks

These have been hidden from the store until we add more features to them. Yes we have plans for that, no we don't know when it will be. Players that have these will still have their title in game.
so cosmetic but not cosmetic

Future Updates

To try to balance out the bad with the good, here’s a glimpse at the next updates we have planned:
you've done more bad than good rn tbh
Server owners will be able to designate ranks to players on their server such as builder, dev, co owner, etc. that will show up as prefixes / suffixes in the lobby for those players.
No comment.
Tutorials for everything Minehut
I don't see a tutorial saying "if you're a freebie you pretty much can't do anything now".
User submitted tutorials
You know I'm going to submit the above tutorial eventually, right? Either that or someone else will.
Improved support system to make sure everyone gets help faster and more professionally.
I mean, I cant complain about staff actually helping more now.
Updated lobby functionality
This is always changed...
Tons of website updates
...that I don't really know about.
Increased reliability in server startup and status
Soooo you cripple free servers to improve startup time? ... Wouldn't that lose you more players, thus negating the effect?
Easier way to do a quick restart to replace /reload.
Well, I already found a way to bypass it.
Friends
TOOK LONG ENOUGH, although kinda useless now.

Q&A
I'll be doing a Q&A in discord voice chat for the next 30 minutes or so. Let me know if you read this far and I'll send you a 
a message telling us all that you just crippled all free servers? gud 2 kno

Well, that took a while.
I think it's safe to say Minehut just dug to the nether and is probably going to be down there for a while. These downgrades are just going to lose more and more and more players, meaning less will vote, meaning less will come and see this and say "wow, wtf is this", thus leaving again...

#RIPOldMinehut

Woot woot! Cheaper tiers!

Good & bad update; I definitely appreciate the fact you let permanent tiers keep their tiers. Though, I feel bad for non-tiers, as they lose a bunch of advantages. Regardless, I think this update is more terrible than good. Non-tier servers are practically pointless now.

1 plugin! LMAO. I think this is a hilarious update. What I'm really glad about is the cheaper tiers! ;)

The good tier fits ME perfectly! I love this update!

Worst update ever!
4 player slots? Are you kidding me!
1 plugin. How am I going to make a good free server with only 1 plugin!?!

for the people that are confused why a world protection plugin isn't on the list, you don't need it. On a server I developed for, we made players in adventure mode, and gave them weakness at spawn. really not that complicated

First of all I'd like to preface this with the fact that I know Minehut is a business and requires a massive amount of funds to stay afloat, and that if I were faced with a similar situation I probably would be doing the same as above. That being said:

I think the biggest issue with all this was the lack of forethought at the very beginning. It should have been fairly obvious from the VERY start all those years ago that a server project like this would, eventually, become a massive undertaking and requiring a TON of time, dedication, and resources to maintain and run. And because that wasn't realized at the start, Minehut made certain choices which put that at risk. It started with the forever-tier based system. It should have been obvious that that wouldn't be able to sustain a server of this type. And because, again, that wasn't realized, people began to have certain expectations and views of how Minehut is run and how it should continue to run.

Now that those expectations and views are changing drastically, it's causing a fair amount of backlash and negative feedback. And that's where the issue lies. It wasn't well planned at the beginning, and now you're trying to make up for it. Which is understandable.

However at this point, Minehut has lost basically every incentive it had (everything I'm about to say is aimed at FREE tier servers, as (for a long time) that was a major selling point, free hosting)

You have reduced up time to be only 2 hours, plus added time from voting. This is no better than any other free server hosts uptime.

You have reduced the number of active plugins to 1. This is unbelievably worse than existing free server hosts.

You have reduced the world border size to an absolutely minuscule amount. As far as I know, existing free sever hosts don't have this restriction.

And most of all, you have absolutely KILLED your biggest selling point: the pre-established community. How? By restricting player slots down to 4. When ever asked questions like "why is Minehut better than X free host?", you will almost always get an answer along the lines of "well for one thing, we have a massive community waiting to play your server! No need to get players yourself!" Now that free servers only have 4 slots, this restricts the number of "community members" on your server by a MASSIVE amount, making it not worth it for free tier players (they would probably have an easier time getting players by making their own server and advertising it on some forums).

On top of that, users also have to deal with things such as the "bad apples" of the community (the toxic and idiotic players), and Minehut-specific bugs and restrictions (the classic world reset bug from a year ago, and not being able to do basic things like picking the MC version for example).

It's come to the point where users honestly have no real reason to stick around. Free hosts like Aternos (not advertising, simply providing an example) do not have many of these restrictions, and even mirror a few of them (for example, there is no 24/7 uptime on Aternos, just like this new Minehut update, however Aternos has many requested features such as a web-based console, a huge list of plugins, custom player slots and server icon, and you can pick which Minecraft version and server type you want).

Again, I understand that Minehut needs money and I'm not saying that's a bad thing. It's clear these changes are aimed to push people to buy tiers rather than remain as free-tier players, so Minehut can stay online. This is all perfectly fine, and again I (as someone who understands how business work, and who has been to school for business) AGREE with the changes listed here. These are valid changes. Just wanted to put in my two-cents and share my opinion, is all.

But hey, not like I really care either way nor does it affect me. I don't even play Minecraft anymore. The only reason I'm even writing this is because I'm good friends with MatrixTunnel, and he's staff here.

Also why so much hate? There doing it so they can add MORE things -_-

Well. 
Okay then. 
At least it's cheaper I guess.

1 Online Users

MissAniThrope